Friday, May 23, 2014

KyoChon

When you hear about Korean fried chicken, what automatically comes to your mind?  Probably BonChon, since they were the first to open here in the Philippines.  A few months ago, I noticed a soon-to-open sign for KyoChon in SM Megamall.  I've heard good things about the restaurant chain, but never had the chance to try it out.  So I guess you could say I was excited for KyoChon's opening.

Fast forward to last month, KyoChon finally opened!  Thanks to SM Megamall's 3-day-sale which lured me to shop till I drop, Hubby and I found ourselves in front of KyoChon one late Friday night.  Let's see if they live up to the hype!





KyoChon offers three different sauces for their fried chicken.  The Original, the Red Series and the Honey Series.  Finally, a new flavor!  I was beginning to get sick of the usual soy garlic or spicy flavors.


Original Series
First up, the Original Series, also known as the soy garlic.  Was not too impressed with the original series, I found it a bit bland compared to BonChon's.


Red Series
Next, the Red Series, also known as the spicy one.  According to the menu, the Red Series is glazed with the original hot sauce made from Korea's hottest red chili peppers.  Reading about it already makes me sweat.  I did however, take a bite and found it to be nicely flavorful.  Still too hot for my taste though, but spicy lovers will definitely find comfort in it.


Honey Series

And finally, the Honey Series.  Sweet and sticky chicken pieces which are marinated for 24 hours with KyoChon's special seasoning, then fried and coated with honey.  It would be an understatement to say that this was my favorite from among the three.  If you have a sweet tooth like me, then this is definitely the one for you.


Soonsal Series
And for those who want something different, try out the Soonsal Series.  The Soonsal Series are chicken strips coated with rice krispies, which gives off a nice crunch.  Perfect for beer pairing.


Galbi Chicken Steak Rice
 The Galbi Chicken Steak somehow reminded me of the chicken barbeque in Aristocrat.  The meat was tender and very flavorful.  But what impressed me the most was the kimchi rice.  I'm never really eat kimchi, but with KyoChon's kimchi rice, I found myself craving for more.


KyoChon's interior

So how was my KyoChon experience?  I loved it!  And yes, they're even better than BonChon.  I specially loved the Honey Series and their Kimchi Rice.  A definite must try!  Can't wait to go back for more.  4 out of 5 stars!


Kyochon is at UG/F SM Megamall, Mega B, EDSA cor. Julia Vargas Ave., Ortigas Center, Mandaluyong City

No comments:

Post a Comment