Friday, October 24, 2014

Tokyo Eats: The Gindaco

Takoyaki (according to Wikipedia) is a ball-shaped Japanese snack made of a wheat flour-based batter and cooked in a special takoyaki pan.  It is typically filled with minced or diced octopus (tako), tempura scraps (tenkasu), pickled ginger, and green onion.  Takoyaki are brushed with takoyaki sauce, similar to Worcestershire sauce, and mayonnaise.  The takoyaki is then sprinkled with green laver (aonori) and shavings of dried bonito (katsuobushi).

Takoyaki also happens to be one of my favorite snacks of all time.  These little glorious balls have always had a special place in my (fat) heart ever since I tried the not-so-authentic-but-still-so-good Samurai takoyaki back when I was in still in kindergarten.  Since then, whenever I find myself in front of a takoyaki stand - be it in a school fair, a foodcourt or a restaurant, I just had to order one.

I had my first taste of The Gindaco takoyaki a few years back in Hong Kong when they still had a branch in front of Times Square, Causeway Bay.  Much to my dismay, they had already closed the following year when I went back.  So when I saw The Gindaco again after all these years, you can bet I'll find time to savor these yummy balls. 






Nomnomnom.  Not all takoyakis are made the same.  The Gindaco's version is crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside.  Plus points for huge octopus chunks that you can actually chew on.  The only thing I'm not too happy about is the fact that they also incorporated some ginger into the balls, and ginger is not my friend.  LOL.  Other than that, I'm a happy camper!  4 out of 5 stars!


The Gindaco is at 1 Chome-14-24 Jingumae, Shibuya, Tokyo 150-0001

No comments:

Post a Comment