Thursday, February 27, 2014

Ramen Daisho

Who's familiar with Ukkokei Ramen Ron?  Fans of the famous pre-ramen craze ramen joint will be happy to know that there's another Ukkokei ramen contender called Ramen Daisho.  Apparently, it is rumored that Ramen Daisho has bought the same broth recipe as Ukkokei Ramen Ron.  I know some of you will hate me for this, but I was never a fan of Ukkokei.  Hubby and I both find their ramen overhyped.  Ok, now you can hate both of us.  LOL.  

One random weeknight, Mom was craving for ramen,  Her friend told her that a new ramen place opened in Shaw Blvd. and it was better than Ramen Nagi!  Call me impressed with the fact that my mom now has foodie news!  BUT, BETTER than Ramen Nagi?  Now this I'll have to try for myself.  So off we went to Ramen Daisho to try out the latest ramen joint.

I've heard from friends on my Facebook/Instagram feeds that Ramen Daisho can get full early on, so Mom and I arrived early.  Hmm.. probably too early since there were only about two other tables when we got there.  Hey, better early than late!  Right? 

Here's what we had:
Gyoza
Pan-fried dumplings made from seasoned cabbage, chives and pork,  Wrapped w/ special dough made from sticky rice and flour



This one is a no-brainer.  Nice chewy outside with moist, fragrant filling.  I like it!


Shio Chashu-Men










Hakata style straight noodles in rich, milky, pork-bone broth soup

Mom and I happened to order the same thing!  They weren't kidding when they say that the broth was milky - it really is.  The thing is, I was hoping for a more tonkotsu flavor, which I found lacking in Ramen Daisho's Shio Chasu-Men.



Nitamago


As you can see, the egg failed the "eye test".  I was expecting it to look runny, and not borderline hard boiled.  How about the taste test?  Failed it too.  It tasted like one of those eggs that I can cook at home.  No marinated taste whatsoever.


So, the verdict?  Mom loved Ramen Daisho because she finds their ramen less oily that Ramen Nagi's.  I, on the other hand, although I find Ramen Daisho's ramen pretty good, I'm still a loyal fan of Ramen Nagi.  Somehow not one ramen restaurant is able to replicate their rich tonkotsu broth, and till that day comes, my vote is still for Ramen Nagi.  3.5 out of 5 stars!


Ramen Daisho is at Unit 2, Sunshine Square, Liberty Center, 312 Shaw Blvd. Mandaluyong

No comments:

Post a Comment