Thursday, March 5, 2015

Paparazzi at the Edsa Shangri-La Hotel

"It's a surprise."  That's what Hubby said when I asked him where he was taking me on Valentine's Day.  "Nooooo... You have to tell me!  I have to wear something appropriate!"  was my reply.  "Just wear something nice."  He countered.  Hmpf.  Ok fine.  I gave up on the guessing game and just did as I was told.  The restaurant?  Paparazzi at the Edsa Shangri-La Hotel. *insert wolf whistle* I was impressed.  Why?  First, I had a number of guesses as to where he was taking me on this day of hearts, but I never thought about Paparazzi.  Second, fine dining restaurants - on Valentine's Day nonetheless - is definitely not cheap.  So I prepared myself for a night full of gastronomic delights.

Valentine's Day Menu
As with other restaurants, Paparazzi only prepares one menu during Valentine's Day.  No ordering from the regular menu.  The only choice you have is whether to get Main Course A or Main Course B.

Moet & Chandon
Oooh, fancy.  Rose petals + Champagne.  Life is good.

Complimentary Bread
Served with balsamic and olive oil dip.  I took one bite but didn't bother with the bread.  I was too excited for the food to come!

Oyster
Crispy Fried with Raspberry Vinaigrette

Loved the presentation.  And it was the first time I've tried oysters with raspberry vinaigrette, which was delightful.  It takes out the fishyness of the oyster.

Tartare
Tartare of Marinated Tuna with Capers, Lemon and Primo Olive Oil

I tried.  But no.  Took one tiny forkful of this and pushed the plate towards Hubby.  Nope, still won't eat the raw stuff.

Soup
Zucchini and Basil Cream Soup with Ricotta Beignet

Cream soup, yet it was not heavy at all. 

Sorbet
Campari and Orange Granite with Candied Orange Peel

Refreshing!

Manzo Per Lui
Roasted Tenderloin of Beef with Pan Seared Foie Gras, Roasted Pumpkin, Spinach and Truffle Jus

The night was so far, so good.  That is, until this plate arrived.  There were a number of things that did not sit well with me.  Let me enumerate thee:  1.  The server failed to ask us how we would like our steak to be done.  It arrived medium to medium well, and Hubby had to return his because he likes them medium rare.  2.  The tenderloin, as pretty as it looks in the picture, sadly does not taste as good as it looks.  Contrary to the name, it was not tender at all.  In fact, some parts were what we would call "cottony".  3.  The foie gras.  Let's play a game of spot the foie gras, shall we?  No, it's not that thing perched on top of the tenderloin on the left.  It's actually hidden behind the carrots.  And let me tell you, it was thin as a potato chip (no exaggerations!) and as little as about 2 inches by 1.5 inches.  Way below industry standard.  It was served cold and overcooked too.  I spoke to the manager about it and they replaced it with a different one yet it was exactly as bad as the first one.  Sheesh.  As if that wasn't bad enough, we spoke to the manager again and expressed our disappointment with the food, and they promptly offered the replace it with a better one.  We took the offer, only to be disappointed again when the replacement looked and tasted exactly like the first plate.  They can do no right, can they? 

Cioccolato
Chocolate Cone filled with Iced Nougatine Parfait, Raspberry Jelly and Mango Pearls

Unlike the disaster of a main course, this was actually pretty good.  In fact, this was the only thing that saved the dinner.  The chocolate cone was thin yet holds up the cream inside, while the mango and raspberry gives off the sweet-sour taste to balance off everything.

Complimentary Chocolates



Nah, did nothing for me.

So the verdict?  I was actually pretty shocked when I saw the bill.  It was definitely not cheap, yet the food did not warrant the price.  At all.  "For Php 5000/person, I should get the whole freakin' foie gras.  Not a sliver."  I told Hubby.  And I made him swear never again to take me to a hotel on Valentine's Day.  Ever.  1 out of 5 stars.



Paparazzi is at the Edsa Shangri-La Hotel, Mezzanine Level, Tower Wing, 1 Garden Way Ortigas Center, Mandaluyong City 

No comments:

Post a Comment