Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Apag Marangle

From my previous post, I mentioned that August was quite a busy month because of two out of town trips.  I've already blogged about Baguio, so this time, it's all about Clark, Pampanga.  It all started when my MIL bought two rooms off a deal site for an overnight stay at the Holiday Inn Mimosa.  We planned a quick weekend getaway that coincided with the holidays so that everyone would be free.  On the day itself, we were running late so we decided to make a stop at the Marquee Mall in Pampanga to have lunch.  Being a newbie in that area, we weren't quite sure where to eat so we decided to just walk around to see which of the restaurants would look interesting, and that restaurant turned out to be Apag Marangle which serves true blue Kapampangan dishes.  I've never actually tried Kapampangan food, and little did I know that Kapampangan food translates to exotic food!  Admittedly, being the foodie that I am, I've never been the adventurous type.  I like to stick to the tried and tested.  So this was dangerous territory for me.  Read on to see what weird and exotic things we had that day!

Buko Juice

Sale Manuk (chicken and lemongrass with corn soup)

Camaro (crickets)

Freak out.  Yep.  That's my first reaction.  I do not eat bugs.  But what the heck, you only live once.  Plus, Hubby's family has great convincing powers.  LOL.  Surprisingly, it didn't taste like bugs at all.  Probably because it was deep fried and was quite crunchy.

Gule king gata (vegetable stewed in coconut milk)

Betute (frog)

And now comes the frog.  I've eaten frog legs before, but I've never seen a whole frog served on a platter.  This one also freaked me out, but I made it a point to try everything so I got the legs.  Didn't like it, it was too tough and dry.

Chicharon

Sizzling Balut

Duck embryo.  Gah.  Sucked it up and tried a small piece.  Soft and squishy.  I can't believe I ate duck fetus.

Inihaw na Hito



So how was my experience?  Well let's just say that I'm happy I wasn't born a Kapampangan.  Nothing against them, it's just that I cannot imagine having food like these every single day.  Oh wait, maybe that's a good thing, cause I'll finally be thin!  LOL.

Oh and if you were wondering how the other dishes were, it was so-so.  3 out of 5 stars.


Apag Marangle is at G/F Marquee Ayala Mall, Angeles City

No comments:

Post a Comment