Thursday, September 5, 2013

Julian Hakes 'Mojito' Shoes



It was love at first sight when I first laid eyes on the Julian Hakes 'mojito' shoes.  I happen to stumble upon a blog that featured the shoe, and I immediately went to work to search for this amazing pair.  Alas, as expected, not one single store here in our country carries them, so I went farther and searched for it online.  Found some sites that carry them, but it was all the way in London.  Channeled my inner FBI and found out that a company in Hong Kong has them!  After a few emails exchanged, I've already set a date to meet up with the point person handling Julian Hakes!  Woohoo!  Fast forward a month and a half later, after getting lost amidst the office buildings in Tsim Sha Tsui, Hubby and I finally found the office.  You see, the Julian Hakes brand is not carried in any Hong Kong stores either, so the only way to get them is to find the company that carries them and troop to their office (told ya, FBI levels! LOL).  Special thanks to the point person in Hong Kong who accommodated us!  She was extremely nice and friendly, and she told us quite a few tidbits about the Julian Hakes 'mojito' shoes namely:

a.  Julian Hakes is actually an award winning architect from London.
b.  He came up with the mojito shoe when he noticed that footprints in the sand do not have imprints in the middle, thus, there is no need for any support in that part because no pressure is applied to the middle of the foot when walking.
c.  He named the shoe 'mojito' because while drinking a mojito, the shoes look a lot like the curve of a lemon peel in his drink.
d.  The shoes are actually made from surfboard material!

Super cool, huh?  I was even more amazed after getting all that information.  So before I bore you more with my endless blabbering, here are some more pictures of the Julian Hakes 'mojito' shoes!





So what do you think?  Do you like it?  I've brought this out a few times whenever someone visits our house, and have gotten a lot of oohs and aahs.  Some of you might be curious as to whether the shoes are comfortable or not.  I'm going to be honest here, it's not.  Since it's made from surfboard material, it can be quite tough and it rubs a bit at the top of the feet when walking.  The good news is, they're coming up with new ones with memory foam.  Surely the comfort level will be better than the old ones.  Can't wait for it!

1 comment:

  1. I love that shoes so much... Are you sure there's no Julian Hakes's store in Hong Kong? Could you tell me how to contact the person who can help me to get that shoes?? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete