Friday, November 8, 2013

Singapore Eats: PS. Cafe

Ahh, PS. Cafe.  I've had my eye on them ever since I first laid eyes on how the PS. Cafe Dempsey Hill branch looked like.  Yes, I'm a sucker for good interiors/exteriors, and this one just blew me away.  Never mind some reviews of the place being overrated; I just HAD to see it and try it out for myself.  So on our last day in Singapore, Hubby and I set off on an adventure to PS. Cafe in Harding Road.  Why an adventure, you ask?  Because that place is basically unreachable by subway, bus or any form of public transportation.  The only way to go there is by taxi, and even the taxi driver had a bit of a hard time figuring out where exactly PS. Cafe was.  Thank goodness for GPS, or else we would have found ourselves lost in the middle of nowhere.  Mr. Taxi Driver actually dropped us off in the middle of the road, and we had to figure out ourselves how to get to the restaurant.  Luckily, it was just a bit of a walk away and soon, we found ourselves standing in front of a quaint house surrounded by lush greenery.  PS. Cafe, we have arrived.

The entrance

The facade
I was at a loss for words.  It's literally impossible not to fall in love with how it looks from the outside.  It kind of reminded me of Sonya's Garden here in Tagaytay.


First look inside the restaurant

The view
The view from inside out is also quite stunning.  I love how modern the restaurant looks.  I also love how sunny it can get inside.  Can't help but feel giddy.


And now, the food:
Portobello Mushroom Soup with Watercress & Truffle Oil
The mushroom soup had a bit of a bitter aftertaste which I didn't like.  Hubby, on the other hand, was impressed.  Being a chef himself, he knows if a certain dish has had any "shortcuts" or substitutes.  The soup, he says, is purely made out of blended mushrooms, which means, you get bang for your buck.


Truffle Shoestring Fries
We were shocked when the fries arrived at our table.  The serving size is HUGE!  For comparison, I think the amount of fries is equivalent to 3 large Mcdonald's fries.  No scrimping on truffle oil either, I could smell it before it even arrived.


Miso Cod
This was a bit on the expensive side, but it was worth every single cent.  The fish was cooked just right; it felt like I was eating Chilean sea bass.  I also loved the roasted pumpkin.  It perfectly complemented the fish.  


PS, Burger
Grilled Wagyu and US Chuck patty topped with Gruyere cheese, wilted spinach, bacon, tomato and crispy onions on a toasted sesame bun with PS. fries.  Yum.


Sticky Date Steamed Pudding with Toffee Sauce
The sticky date and toffee pudding is one of our favorites when dining in Cafe Juanita or Draft here in Manila.  So naturally, we had to order it to see how it PS. Cafe's version compares to our local ones.  Well, it was good alright, but I'm happy to say that the local ones are even better!


Overall PS. Cafe's food gets a 3 out of 5 stars for me.  But the ambiance?  5 out of 5 stars!  While the food may be so-so, the ambiance more than makes up for it.  I would personally go back for the Miso Cod and just sit there the whole afternoon, basking in the glorious surroundings and just enjoy the moment.      


PS. Cafe is at 28b Harding Rd. Singapore

No comments:

Post a Comment