Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Hong Kong Eats: Shanghai Min

On our last day in Hong Kong, Hubby and I met up with some high school friends BC and JK for lunch in Times Square.  We didn't have a clue but we knew that there were a number of good restaurants on top of the Times Square so we just went there and chose a random one.  Which one won?  Shanghai Min.  I myself was just mesmerized by the huge picture of the Xiao Long Bao outside the restaurant so when JK suggested we go there, I just simple went with his suggestion.  Drool-worthy picture outside=sheer marketing genius!  

Pork Belly with Clamshell Buns.  Pork was tender, and the fat melts in your mouth (now that I'm writing about this, I think I better have my cholesterol levels checked.  Just to be sure!).


Fried Rice with Scallops and Egg


Japanese Tofu with Century Egg



Beef Tendon.  There was no picture when we ordered this, and we thought we were getting the normal beef tendon.  Imagine our surprise when this arrived.  We thought they must have mixed up the orders, but upon closer inspection, it IS beef tendon, gelatin version!  This was the loser of the bunch, it tasted as bad as it looked.  We couldn't get past gelatinized beef tendon.



Drunken Chicken



Roast Duck.  Absolutely soft and flavorful.  One of the best I've tasted!



Pan Fried Crispy Pork Soup Buns.  This one is a winner too.  There's real soup inside those buns!



And finally, the reason for us dining in Shanghai Min:  Hairy Crab Xiao Long Bao.  Do not be fooled by the size of the picture, this xiao long bao is only as big as the regular (bite-sized) ones we are used to.  We initially thought it was a bigger version too, but alas, when it was served to us, all of us were surprised.  Nonetheless, it was gooooood!  I've always been a fan of xiao long bao and hairy crab, so to put two together is an absolute bliss.  


Overall I'd give Shanghai Min a 4 out of 5 stars.  Glad our last lunch in Hong Kong did not disappoint!


Shanghai Min is at Shop 1103, 11/F, Times Square | 1 Matheson street, Causeway BayHong Kong.

No comments:

Post a Comment