Thursday, August 15, 2013

Hong Kong Eats: Din Tai Fung

Remember my post about Lugang Cafe?  This time on our trip to Hong Kong, I went back to the mother of all xiao long baos, Din Tai Fung.  The place that started my love affair for xiao long bao.  Being familiar with the restaurant, I already knew what I'll be having before I even sat down.  You see, on a trip to Hong Kong a year back, I was able to experience one particularly special xiao long bao, something that is not readily available on other restaurants serving these little nuggets of soupy heaven.  I'm not going to spoil it for you, scroll down and see what it is!

 Steamed Crab Roe and Pork Xiao Long Bao

The insides of the Crab Roe and Pork Xiao Long Bao

Nope it's not this one.  But it's also pretty delicious.  I made sure to take a picture of the insides of each xiao long bao we had to be able to show you guys how fully packed their soupy dumplings are.


Steamed Black Truffle Pork Xiao Long Bao

The insides of the Black Truffle Pork Xiao Long Bao



Oh yes.  This is it.  Black truffle!  Since I'm such a sucker for truffle, I make it a point to order any dish that has the word "truffle" in it.  Sadly, this one paled in comparison to the one we had before.  It's missing the strong truffle scent that I'm used to having.  Scrimping on ingredients?  Boo.


Noodle with spicy sesame and peanut sauce in "Taiwan" style (Dan Dan Noodles)

The Dan Dan Noodles I had from Lugang Cafe was pretty good, so when I saw this one in the menu, I wanted to get it and compare it to our local version.  Guess who won?  Lugang Cafe!  I did not like Din Tai Fung's version because their peanut sauce is a bit bitter.


Spicy Shrimp and Pork Wonton





You cannot go wrong with spicy shimp wontons.  This was loads spicy (see the number of dotted chili on the bowl?) and oily, but it was ok.  I like the sweet-spicy wontons that I usually get here in Manila though. 


Overall I'd give Din Tai Fung a 2.5 out of 5 stars.  Compared to the last time we dined there, the quality has deteriorated a bit.  I've also tasted their other dishes when we went back a week after (2nd HK trip with the Hubby's family) and sadly, aside from their famous xiao long baos, there's nothing to write home about.  Sad. 


Din Tai Fung is at Shop 130, 3/F, Silvercord, 30 Canton Road Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong

No comments:

Post a Comment