Friday, August 9, 2013

Hong Kong Eats: Ginza Bairin

The very first time I've tried Ginza Bairin was on the last day of our honeymoon in Singapore.  Hubby and I were on a last minute shopping hurrah in Ion Orchard and needed something quick before we miss our flight.  A sign that said "Japan's best katsudon" was all it took to convince us to try it out, and that was one of the best decisions ever because yes, it was the single best katsudon I've ever tasted in my life.  Fast forward close to two years later, it was a pleasant surprise to find out that Hong Kong too has Ginza Bairin and the glutton in me just said "go for it!".  

Chawan Mushi

Velvety smooth.  Nuff said.


Salmon and Salmon Roe Kushiage / Soft Shell Crab Kushiage

Didn't like the kushiages that much,  It was oily and the taste, forgettable.


Beef Short Rib Skewer
 Nothing special with this one either, would rather go for our tried and tested Pinoy BBQ.


Hotategai Katsu (Scallop)
 NOW we're talking.  The scallops were huge and simple tasted divine.  Soft and juicy.  Would've had seconds if not for the price.  Hehe!


Barin's Signature Special Hire Katsudon
 And for the main event, the main reason we went back to Ginza Bairin:  the signature special hire katsudon.  Still as yummy and as flavorful as I remember it.  Sooooo good!


Rosu Katsu Set (Black Pork)

























The Rosu Katsu (Black Pork) was pretty good too, the outside crunchy and the meat tender .  But the overall winner for me would still be the katsudon.  


Overall I'd give Ginza Bairin a 4 out of 5 stars.  The scallops and katsudon is worth every single penny.  It's the stuff wet dreams are made of.  LOL.

*Ginza Bairin has just recently opened here in the Philippines too, hurray!  But I've yet to try it and see how it compares to our neighboring Asian branches.  Something tells me I'm going to get to try it out very soon.  Do watch out for my post on our local Ginza Bairin!

Ginza Bairin is at B/F, Macau Yat Yuen Centre, 525 Hennessy Road, Causeway Bay Hong Kong

No comments:

Post a Comment